- Ancestry. An essential source of records and networking for genealogy. (I am not affiliated with them in any way other than being a member and using their services.)
- Find a Grave. Extensive international repository of information on cemeteries and memorials.
Military Records Searches
- Library and Archives Canada. LAC is working on the digitization of all service records for the Canadian Expeditionary Force, and are working to have this complete by the end of 2018.
- National Archives. The UK National Archives hosts a dedicated website to all things WW1 in commemoration of the centenary, and searches for military records can be done through this site.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Established by Royal Charter in 1917 to commemorate war dead. Website allows for a comprehensive search of Commonwealth war dead in over 150 countries for both first and second world wars.
Great War Resources
- 4th CMR. A a place of remembrance dedicated to all who served with the 4th Canadian Mounted Rifles in the First World War.
- HistoryOfWar.org. A military history encyclopedia with information about the First and Second World wars as well as several other significant military conflicts.
- The Long, Long Trail. An incredibly comprehensive review of British forces and campaigns during the war.
- The Queen’s Own Rifles of Canada Regimental Museum and Archives. An organization with the mission of presenting the story of Canada’s oldest continuously serving infantry regiment.
- The Regimental Rogue. A variety of military themed content covering past and present topics in the Canadian Army, including research on The Royal Canadian Regiment, resources for young officers and guidance to researching Canadian soldiers of the First World War.
Interesting Historical Resources and Collections
- The Workhouses: The story of an institution. Listings and descriptions of 19th century workhouses in Britain.
- County Asylums. A website with the aim to provide accurate historical details for each County or Borough Asylum within England and Wales, together with representative photos of what remains of them on site and sources of further information.
- The Canadian Encyclopedia. A digital encyclopedia striving to be the most comprehensive collection of Canadian Stories online.